Skip to main content

N°12: Panzer Dragoon Orta - City in the Storm

While this is my blog, I've decided that once in a while, I'll have guests. Not out of laziness or lack of inspiration (I still have over 100 tracks to write about) , but because I thought it'd be interesting to see what others like, what they used to play, and what they have to tell. Because I firmly believe that no matter which kind of gamer you are, as long as you've played at least one game, you'll have memories. And it's very likely that some of those memories will be linked to that game's soundtrack.

Long story short, my first guest is B.Dandelion, and she will be driving the bus today. I'll see you all at the end of the month.

Also, I'd like to ask all of you, my dear readers, for feedback. Just tell me in the comments (or at aliascent@gmail.com) your thoughts, comments, what do you enjoy the most, what was your favorite post, what should I improve, etc. Feedback.

-Aliascent

Alia asked me if I’d like to write an article for his blog, and without even thinking about it I chose to write about Panzer Dragoon Orta. A real memory trigger. This is the last of four main games in the Panzer Draggon series,  released on the XboX console in 2003.

The game  focuses on a girl named… Orta. She’s been chained in a tower for ever. Why ? Good question. And the world outside is NOT much more hospitable. For thousands of years after the fall of the ancient world, everything remained in ruins and humanity survived scattered in small groups. But an Empire rose again, and in Orta’s time they regularly raid the continent to kill those who resist. Also, for some reason they badly want Orta, who’s precisely held in a city ruled by some enemies to the Empire. So here they come to retrieve her. And because they managed to re-activate a device the Ancients called « the Cradle », used to create biological weapons, they’re not alone.  But just when the Dragonmares - « weapons » born from the Cradle - are about to get to Orta, she’s rescued by a mysterious dragon. She climbs on its back… and let the game begin, during which Orta is hunted down by the Empire, figures out why all this is bloody happening, fights creatures with severely aletered genes (the Ancients did like to tinker around) and flies over beautiful landscapes.

I could have picked the whole OST (composed by Yutaka Minobe  and Saori Kobayashi) because the game has very good music, so if you’ve got time and are curious… go listen to them all. The track I finally chose, City in the storm, is first heard during the first episode when Orta rides the dragon and escapes the burning city. I just feel it captures the essence of the whole game. It’s all about contrasts, build-up of musical tension and release of said tension. Dissonance and harmony. All at once. The percussions won’t let you in peace, hammering in the background to keep you aware. Yes, this is dangerous and yes you’re the prey and no they’re not leaving you alone. You also get edgy electronic sounds and patterns that do absolutely nothing to soothen the atmosphere. However, this track offers states of grace, or moments of bliss. Aerial, harmonious, serene sounds and melodies occur when you don’t expect them. They don’t exactly replace the pre-existent mood, rather add another layer on it. Now, imagine being on a dragon’s back and flying high in the sky, hearing and feeling the wind around you, breathing cold air, seeing weird, luxuriant, broad,  desolate landscapes under you. Now imagine never being safe, being lost, hunted down, threatened, shot at, attacked by horrific creatures. Beauty, strangeness, danger are all mixed in this track and this must be why I love it so much.

I hope you enjoy it too !

B.Dandelion




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

N°11: Nuclear Throne : Fläshyn

It's been a while since the last post, but we're finally live again. New theme, new font, new background, everything is now nice and shiny, as it ought to be. And I thought I'd get things started again by telling you about a game I've spent 400h playing: Nuclear Throne. Back in june 2015, I bought this little game for the low price of 12,99€. And boy, that was money well spent. This game is crazy, fast-paced, unfair as hell and extremely hard, but also very rewarding and satisfying. But I somehow couldn't stop playing it; its simple yet addictive game play (grab a weapon, dodge bullets, shoot back, die because why not, and restart asap) was enough to keep me interested. But what would a game with good game play and lovely graphics be without a good soundtrack to back it up ? The answer is : nothing. And Nuclear Throne sure isn't lacking in the "awesome tunes" department. Sometimes creepy, sometimes sad, but always enjoyable, NT's soundtr

N° 13: Nightmare Creatures - Boss 1 + Bonus.

Let's get it out of the way right now: Nightmare Creatures is one of my all-time favorite, and I won't be partial.  Released in 1997, developed by Kalisto and edited by Activision, it had everything a horror-themed game should have: a great, gloomy and gothic atmosphere, reinforced by the dense fog severely limiting your view distance; making it easier for the monsters to ambush and jumpscare you, detailed modeling (for the time) which made the monsters scary, different, and the scenery fairly realistic (which is good since it's based on real locations) and memorable. Even better: level design was quite good. As linear and easy to navigate as it is, you never knew where the next attack would come from, or where the items were placed, and you had to focus and stay sharp if you wanted to stay alive or gather much needed supplies to help you in your quest. Still, taking your time and strolling through the game wasn't really an option: you had to move quickly, bec

N°10 Overlord (nes) Theme

A few months late, but here his the 10th post. On a sidenote, since I restarted this blog, I managed to reach almost 400 views. It's not much but still way more than I expected. About 400 times more. Back on music. Today's piece comes from an old strategy game, first released on Amiga and Atari, and later on NES. The game is called "Supremacy: Your Will Be Done " which,-let's be honest- is an awful title, and "Overlord" in the US.Yes, they basically managed to sum up the whole thing in one word. Why did they not think about it earlier ? I don't know. Anyways, in 1993 the game was ported on the NES, and this version is known for not having lots of music, mainly the main title. But god, what a main title it is. Carried by a deep, powerful bassline (I know, this always comes back in this black. But I love poweful basslines.), that only a NES could produce, with a wavy, sweet melody on top of it, conveying an immense sadness, or maybe a kind of nosta